All things fleet tracking – industry news and best practices
6 Better Business Tips from March Madness
Posted on 03/29/2013 by AKilgore | 0 Comments
If you didn’t know already, the NCAA basketball tournament is in full swing— and we hope your March Madness brackets aren’t suffering too much.
But aside from your bracket, there are a few things businesses can learn from the annual basketball tournament. Here are six tips, inspired by March Madness that can help better your business:
1. Understand the basics: For any team, the key to success is mastering the basics. For basketball players, that means perfecting the fundamentals like dribbling and layups. The same concept can be applied to running a business. Start with the basics, establishing a solid foundation—who you are and what you do.
2. Strategize to win: You can have the best players on the team but that doesn’t guarantee a win. Without a strategy in place, how will your players coordinate? When it comes to managing a business, communication is the key to success. It’s important to plan what needs to be done, what role everyone is playing, and how business will be done effectively.
3. Know the competition: In basketball, there is more to a coach’s strategy than just looking at their team and what they have to work with. It’s about examining the competition. This is proven effective for businesses too. Knowing your competition and what their differentiators are can help your business discover ways to outmaneuver them.
4. Make use of your team: Like basketball players, a business’s employees have both strengths and weaknesses. Pushing employees towards their strengths while working to improve their weaknesses will not only improve their dedication to succeed, it will improve a business’s productivity.
5. Practice makes perfect: Hours and hours of practice may not be fun but it’s essential to succeed. In order to run a business effectively, it’s important to understand what works and what does not. How do you figure that out? Through testing. To get a business to run just right will take time and patience but running tests and finding areas that need improvement will help businesses see results.
6. Get the crowd in the game: There’s nothing like the roar of the crowd cheering on their basketball team. In regards to business, that crowd is your customers. Providing superior customer service will not only help win repeat business, it can help boost your reputation, providing you with new customers.