All things fleet tracking – industry news and best practices
6 Tips for Greener Trucks without Breaking the Bank
Posted on 03/22/2013 by Adrienne Sallerson | 0 Comments
When it comes to evaluating green fleet options, many fleet managers feel overwhelmed by the process—due in large part to the costs associated with “greening” a fleet.
But did you know that greening a fleet can actually be a win-win option for a business? Here are 6 tips to save money while going green, brought to you by greenfleetmagazine.com:
- Lightweighting Truck Bodies: stripping weight out the vehicle improves fuel economy, increases legal payload, reduces trips required and lowers fuel consumption.
- Blending Lightweight with Conventional Materials: fleets that use steel bodies, don’t have to go “all in” with lightweight materials to still take advantage of weight savings. Lighter-duty materials help reduce overall weight and upfit cost.
- Stripping Weight out of Van Interiors: equipping the interior with lightweight aluminum, plastic composite, and hybrid materials can reduce the overall vehicle weight, resulting in fuel savings and environmental benefits.
- Eliminating Idling: let’s come back to this in a moment…
- Improving Aerodynamics: reducing air drag by 20 percent could reduce fuel efficiency by up to 15 percent, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Converting to Alt-Fuels: with any alternative fuel, the vehicle’s application and the availability of the fuel are two essential points to consider before converting.
While Green Fleet Magazine only mentioned 6 tips for greener trucks, we’re going to add a 7th tip: GPS fleet tracking. Let’s go back to tip #4—eliminating idling. With a GPS fleet tracking solution and an idle report, fleet managers can see how long their vehicles have been idling and how much money has been spent. So where is the “green” aspect to this point? By reducing vehicle idling, the spread of harmful carbon emissions is lowered. And that’s not all. A GPS fleet tracking solution and an efficient routing tool can help minimize vehicle emissions, lowering a business’s carbon footprint and benefiting the environment.