All things fleet tracking – industry news and best practices
Combating High Fuel Prices: What’s Your Secret Weapon?
Posted on 03/20/2013 by Chelsea Holmes | 0 Comments
Fleet management technology is changing the way fleet managers look at vehicle fuel consumption. Every fleet, big or small, must pay for fuel - the challenge is to consume it in the most effective way possible.
1. If the car isn't moving, but the engine's still running (also known as that evil word, idling), you're getting 0 mpg. Make all adjustments to mirrors, seat belts, seat position, cargo, etc. before cranking the engine.
2. Turn off the engine whenever you'll be sitting for 60 seconds or more, and you'll save on gas. This includes sitting in traffic and sitting in the drive-through line.
3. Properly inflated tires will save money on fuel costs – up to 3.3%, in fact. Buy a tire gauge and use it. Refer to your owner’s manual for recommended psi for your specific vehicle.
4. A proper tune-up is one of the best things you can do for your vehicle, and can improve mpg by about 4%. Keep in mind that today's cars don't need the old fashioned kind of tune-up (points, plugs, condensers, idle adjustments) that we gladly paid for every 15,000-25,000 miles in the good old days. Refer to your owner’s manual for specifics. Additionally, fixing a serious maintenance problem such as a faulty oxygen sensor can improve your mileage by as much as 40 percent.
5. Use the recommended grade of motor oil to improve your gas mileage by about 2%. For example, using 10W-30 motor oil in an engine designed to use 5W-30 can lower your gas mileage by 2%. Also, look for motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the API performance symbol to be sure it contains friction-reducing additives.
6. Does your business use a fleet of vehicles? Look into using a fleet management solution to help save on fuel costs, among other benefits. A GPS fleet management system by: minimizing engine idle time, monitor speeds, optimizing routing and encouraging proactive vehicle maintenance.
Read our white paper to learn more about how you can slash fuel costs by using a GPS fleet management solution.