All things fleet tracking – industry news and best practices
How is the Trucking Industry Projected to Save $1.7 Billion Annually?
Posted on 08/05/2013 by Adrienne Sallerson | 0 Comments
A recent proposal announced by U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Fox could mean less paperwork for truck drivers, which in turn, would save the trucking industry an estimated $1.7 billion annually. Under current federal regulations, commercial truck drivers must conduct pre- and post-trip equipment inspections and file Driver-Vehicle Inspection Reports after each inspection, even when there are no defects to report. The problem? Only 5% of the reports filed include issues requiring repairs. The other 95% of reports filed claim no defects.
So, what is the proposed change and how can it help? Pre- and post-trip inspections would still be a mandatory requirement for truck drivers, but DVIRs would only be required if the driver found or was made aware of any vehicle defects or deficiencies. With DVIRs being the 19th highest paperwork burden, making this change would eliminate a huge amount of hassle for truck drivers and save the industry billions. Other good news? Safety would remain top priority.