All things fleet tracking – industry news and best practices
What is a Fleet, and Do I Have One?
Posted on 01/23/2017 by Lisa Durrett | 0 Comments
We talk a lot of about the benefits that fleet management can bring to local businesses: cutting costs, improving efficiency, keeping tabs on driver behavior, fitting one more job into a day or week. But what is a fleet, exactly? And do you have one?
If you own a local business that uses cars, trucks, vans or other vehicles to go from location to location servicing your customers, making deliveries, carrying equipment or traveling to homes or client sites, you likely own or lease a fleet of vehicles. The type of business you own does not matter; businesses that operate fleets are varied. Examples include local service companies such as:
- Landscaping companies
- Construction companies
- Home services companies, such as septic tank cleaning, pressure washing, gutter installation and repair companies, and others
- Cleaning services
- Painting companies
- Food delivery companies
- Dry cleaning companies
- Energy companies (solar companies, oil and propane delivery companies, and others)
- Furniture and appliance delivery and repair companies
- Carpet and flooring installation companies
- Real estate, surveyors and architect companies
Even local governments rely on a fleet of vehicles to run operations—the police department, fire department, parks and recreation, and other municipal departments all utilize vehicle fleets.
There are generally no size limits on fleets—they can be as small as two vehicles or as big as thousands of vehicles. If you need several vehicles or delivery drivers, salespeople or other employees, you may even be eligible for fleet leasing or buying programs that can save you money.
Once you invest in a fleet, you need to protect that investment. That doesn’t just mean vehicle insurance, it also means implementing a fleet management solution that will deliver strong return on investment. Fleet management solutions can help you:
- Track driver hours and vehicle inspections
- Receive instant notification via email on your smartphone or laptop about vehicle and driver status
- Keep your drivers – and your business – safe
- Track anything. Anytime. Anywhere
Learn more about how fleet management solutions can take your local business to the next level.