All things fleet tracking – industry news and best practices
Why Are We Less Concerned about Dangerous Driving?
Posted on 09/11/2013 by Adrienne Sallerson | 0 Comments
According to analysis of four years of public surveys conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, there is a striking decrease in concern for dangerous driving behaviors despite a 5.3% increase in annual traffic fatalities.
The surveys, taking place from 2009 to 2012, showed some staggering statistics:
- People who believe that driving after drinking is a serious threat declined from 90% to 69% in 2012.
- People who considered drowsy driving a serious threat declined from 71% in 2009 to 46% in 2012.
- People who believe that texting or emailing while driving is a serious threat to safety declined from 87% in 2009 to 81% in 2012.
- Additionally, the number of people that admitted to texting while driving increased from 21% to 26% during the same time period.
- Finally, people who considered running a red light to be completely unacceptable declined from 77% in 2009 to 70% in 2012.
- More than 1/3 surveyed – 38% – admitted to running a red light within the previous month.
Make sure your business doesn’t become complacent about safety. Invest in a fleet tracking solution that provides a complete driver safety solution.